Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Where is your Art?



A couple of weeks ago I had the guys from Creative Photo Workshops, Glynn Lavender and Shelton Muller around for dinner. One of the first things they did when they walked in my house was say 'well where is your art?' Hmm I was rather sheepish and said I have not printed anything out really. Well I have complied a couple of photo books mainly to test out various printers. I have tried  Clickonprint who are Brisbane based. I have found their service and quality excellent and as I pass then on the way to work very handy to pick up the books from. The other service I have used is Snapfish I have got books printed and recently got a couple of canvas photos. 
I was blown away how good the photos came up. So I am making a New Years resolution now to spend less money on gear and more on getting my Art printed and mounted. I have just recently signed up with Nulab so am looking forward to trying out there services. One thing really worth considering is you are doing yourself a dis-service if you supply your clients with only a disc of images. You need to supply prints and I think if you can have  a selection of prints of different sizes I am sure you sell more if printed out. Certainly digital photo frames, iPads and the like tend to make you go digital put I still think you cannot beat a photo in a frame or on a canvas. I really wonder how many people who get a disc get prints? Or for that matter actually look at them again. I also wonder if in years to come the digital prints will be in the abyss where as those printed out will survive? So next year make your resolution to print more of your art! Leave something for history don't rely on digital images.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting Stevo...Prints look great...and love reading the "blog"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO agree with you Stevo - I only recently started printing my photos when I started doing shoots for other people. I'm finding it so enormously satisfying to flick through actual prints, and to see how my clients are using the images I give them in albums, calendars, canvases and however else they choose.

    There are many fantastic aspects of digital photography, particularly the fact that we can see the images instantly - but there is nothing like looking through those images in print. A wave of nostalgia has just swept over me!

    Great blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you Steve I've only ever had a couple of my images printed. But what a thrill it is to see something I have created actually hanging in a frame on a wall - just like a 'real' photographer! Seeing the digital image on a screen is great, but a hard copy makes so much more of an impression.

    ReplyDelete