Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Queensland Rail I am reconsidering.......



Yesterday I had  a photographic workshop in Reading so the decisison was do I chance the GPS and drive or use the rail system? There was no more snow here at Hemel Hempstaed but it had fallen to Minus 12 over night so this means the snow already fallen becomes Icy. Not really knowing London to drive around and knowing GPS's can lead you down paths you do not want to go I decided to go by Train.
It took me half an hour to get the car out of the hotel car park thanks to the assistance of others. I the negotiated the road to the railway station and paid six quid to park even though it was ahard to negotiate the road in and find a hard space to put the car on. I then waited on  a crowded platform for a train. I was in luc within 15 minutes a train arrived. We were packed in like sardines and then the fun started. It appaers serve ice build up was stopping the doors from opening so the carriage I was in the doors would not open so what is normally a 40 minute journey turned into a hour and a half Journey. Finnally arriving at London Euston I made my way by foot to Euston Square to catch an underground train for Paddington. I needed a Hammersmith  train.....none were running due to  a signally fault....No mobile reception no idea what i could do I sat ity out in the cold underground station...finally a train came and I arrived at Paddington it wa snow 3 hours since I had set out from Hemel Hempstead. I was lucky to get   a train leaving in ten minutes for Reading....hmmm  might make my 11am appointment after all.
I arrived at 10.40 am...I was hungry not having Breakfast before setting out thinking I would have time in Reading to stroll about have something to eat prior to going to Pauls Studio. I decided to buy a bite to eat and then get a cab(taxi) to pauls. I arrived about 11.15 having to walk the final distance as Paul's place was upa  hill and the cab could not get up the icy road.  I had a great session with Paul and will Blog on that in a separte report but will include a couple of teaser images. I finished at 2 pm and them waited for  a cab for my trip back. I only had to wait for my cab and hopefully on my way home as we were going out tonight for Su's birthday. Arrived at Reading staion had about a 20 minute wait for a 3pm train to Reading. Arrived at Paddington immediately got a tube train to Euston Square then walked to London Euston to find the concourse thronging with people. All London Midland services had been delayed or cancelled. When a Train was finally annouced and platform revealed the throng of people and me carting heavy photographic equipment meant I had no chance of catching it. I finnally cramed my self onto a train at 6.15pmtwo and a half hours after arriving at London Euston. I got sick of heraing the apologies for delays and cancellations due to adverse weather conditions. The weather was no different to this morning. Virgin could get tarins out? Then I saw that come Thursday London Midland was not running due to industrial action...hmmm I think this was the real reason. So from this I take back all the criticism I have put on Queensland Rail ...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment