Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A White Christmas in Sight



Sitting here on a sultry evening in Brisbane rather excited to receive a Skype call from the people we are doing a house swap with in Retford, UK. They wanted to show me the snow outside their house via Skype. In just over 8 days we will be winging our way to the UK and whilst snow will be a novelty I am not really wanting too much snow if it means I can't go out on my Photo adventures. One of the things I do know is that with the colder weather I will have to be careful with my Camera and lenses. Batteries will need to be kept warm to maximise their power.
Condensation will be one thing I will have to be careful with going from a warm house to a cool outside. It will be something different to photograph and test my white balance skills. I notice when you look at UK Photography Shops Websites they certainly carry more photography clothing to combat the extremes. Even the range of camera bags for hiking is far in excess of what we see in Oz. It is something I could never understand that Anaconda has not caught on to the fact that many photographers are keen trekkers or trekkers are keen photographers however it seems that this part of the market is totally ignored here. I have a Canon vest with about 18 pockets that can carry gear in. (yes I do get a ribbing wearing it but only from jealous Nikon users) The range of vests in the UK is staggering so too is the gear to sit out and do wildlife/outdoor photography. Check this site out www.stealth-gear.com as an example. I know we have a small population but many of our camera retailers and adventure outdoor retailers don't seem to cater at all for this market.  I know this is a photography blog but I have to rant about a near fatal mishap my trip overseas nearly came to. I use a Travel Agent as they have the expertise to co-ordinate the various flight legs to get to your destination.  So on Monday I logged onto the airline we are flying with website, to checkout type of plane, entertainment and types of meals. Imagine my surprise to find that the Airline no longer flies out of Brisbane on a Saturday. Now we booked in March 2010 and our ticket says our flight leaves 13.10 on Saturday 11th of December. Hmm not any more, quick phone call to Travel Agent, a few terse words and a visit to the boss to ask for an extra day off and to start holidays a day earlier so as to get to our destination. Still I hate to think what would have happened if on Saturday week we turned up blissfully unaware and finding no plane. Hmm I think my wife would have murdered someone...
Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment