Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Retford a Township full of Suprises

We went out this morning to explore the Redford township and were pleasantly surprised. I don't know quite what we expected but it has quite a number of shops, quaint pubs and coffee shops and tea houses. A market square that is undergoing redevelopment of course the recent snow has made it a bit unattractive and a street cleaner/sweeper would help clear away the mud. I pity the poor shopkeepers having muddy footprints tramping into their store. Last night Su's friend Helen from Oz with her friend Priscilla stayed the night and will infact be with us until our London trip. So now I have five women to control and well there were signs in the stores of Retford that said Sale, 50% off, buy one get one free...very sneaky these stores I had trouble dragging them away. I spent some time in W H Smith newsagents bookstores picked up two issues of The Photographer's Guide to Turning Pro . Went to the Post Office to post English Mail that was given to us for posting from Oz. In the afternoon we set of for Meadowhall a shopping centre in Sheffield the road was foggy, light  was fading and it started to rain it was only 1.30pm. It was at this moment I realised why the English photography magazines I buy, had a lot of indoor photography activities. It made me wonder how a wedding photographer coped, obviously with the cold etc Brides have indoor photos this time of year ,as a wedding dress with a fur coat over it just doesn't seem quite the right inage.
At Meadowhall we let Christine go off to explore the shops by herself with some money she got for her birthday. Christine felt a bit cheated about her Birthday as it actualy started 10 hours earlier in Oz and getting Facebook messages and so,.. I told her she managed to stretch her Birthday out to nearly two days. Meadowhall was bustling with people whether they were spending was another thing but I did notice a lline up for the ATM's and plenty of M&S gift cards being purchased. We managed to get our Christmas supplies from Marks and Spencers however navigating the self serve checkouts was another thing especially as we discover they will not take fifty pound notes, infact this is the second time we have encounted problems with 50 pound notes appears they are kinda rare like our green $100 note. The range of shops is staggering and I saw many an outfit I would love to bring back for a shoot with a model. Prior to setting out here I had contacted a couple of Models from Model Mayham to line up some shoots however if the weather does not improve I can't see that happening. Luckily I have booked in for a couple of  courses with Pauls-Studio at Reading. I am looking forward to this. Tomorrow we will head off for the historic city of York..I said to the girls No Shopping tomorrow...famous last words no doubt.....





No comments:

Post a Comment