Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pro Runner 450 AW - My Review

Not my Gear

As you all know I bought my Lowepro Pro Runner 450 AW when I was in England in December/January. I have used it extensively the last 5 months and recently took it overseas to Dubai with me. I packed two camera bodies, a 1000D with battery grip , a 20D with Battery grip, a 70-200mm 2.8 lens a Tamron 24-75mm lens, a EFS 17-85mm Lens, a 50mm lens, a 2x converter, a hoodman loupe, one flash, two battery charges, assorted cables, Filters, Rechargeable batteries, a raincoat for the camera, a poncho and my netbook in the laptop packet. I then weighed it....Gulp 12.5 kilos. Hmm this will be interesting as I am aware Brisbane International is one of the few airports that tend to weigh carry on bagage which is suppose to be 7 kilos. I also took my Carbon Fibre Tripod in it's bag. Come departure day we fronted to the check in counter, the  checked in went through okay now for the next hurdle, the carry on baggage. Now I had the Pro Runner on my back, my wife had her carry on wheelie case, the normal size. As we went to enter through security screening for our carry on baggage, my wife was asked to weigh her bag....oh oh here goes...I was about to remove my backpack..you want to weigh mine? "No sir you're right." Now I have a theory, if you have a wheelie case you can tend to overload it, but if you have a backpack, well who in their right mind would carry 12 to 13 kilos on their back? Why a dedicated photography traveller does! It is okay our secret is safe...just watch as you try to place the bag in the overhead locker though. And be careful when standing in line to board the plane...if you swing around you might wipe out a fellow traveller. On my return trip I took out my netbook and carried it in a laptop bag. I must admit the Pro Runner without a laptop in the envelope between the bag and your back is more comfortable. So want to travel? Want to take a bit of gear? buy a Pro Runner 450 AW.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing the information.

    I would be shortly flying carrying this 450 aw in the cabin. It would be great if you could share your experiences of taking this bag in the cabin. Does it fit comfortably? Does it get stowed in over head bin or under the front seat? Which airlines you had flown with while carrying this bag in cabin?

    Please share the above information. It will help me in planning my journey.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete