Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shooting Tethered


image from:http://www.jibble.org/canon-tethered-shooting/


One of the things of sharing your passion of photography with another photographer is the cross fertilisation of ideas. The other day when doing a studio shoot with Allan Nielsen he was using tethered shooting. That is, his camera was connected to his computer via the USB cable allowing both us and the Model to see the images on a computer screen rather than the back of a small camera screen. Now I can only speak for the Canon shooters out there but this is a quite useful feature. Mixing with other photographers also causes a certain amount of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) so that night on eBay I ordered an extended USB cable to enable me to  explore this further.  Canon, on the Disc you get with your camera, supplies numerous pieces of software one being the EOS Utility which allows you to view  what your camera sees on a computer.  Now that does cause a problem as I have a new netbook  but can't remember where I put the discs. A further challenge presented itself in that Canon in their infinite wisdom do not allow you to download the software from their website(well only updates). And even if I had the disk, as my netbook has no DVD/CD drive how could I load it? Once again google to the rescue. I was able to find that if I made a text file then changed it to a Reg edit file I could trick the software into believing it is present and fully install it from the update. Now I have another program called DSLR Remote Camera Server that allows you to see and fire your Camera from your iPhone or iPad. This uses your Wifi connection and your camera needs to be connected via USB. This got me to thinking with pocket Wifi could you use this on location? hmm more GAS but could be worth a try. I will let you know in due course when my GAS account allows me to.


image from:http://www.studioninja.co.uk/photography-tutorials/top-tips-studio-photography-shooting-tethered/


1 comment:

  1. hehe. Thanks for the plug. I use lightroom 3 for my tethered shooting, it also supports Nikon cameras.

    ReplyDelete