Friday, May 27, 2011

Save your precious Data


One of the things we all fear is getting the blue screen of death on your computer or not being able to boot up the computer. Usually it results in lost data and of course I was going to back up yesterday. Recent tragedies with a couple of my friends has made me re-examine my practices. Hard disk storage has got a hell of alot cheaper, so there is no excuse. I run  a couple of Laptops and regularly back up to portable hard drives. I also load images to Smugmug and use dropbox, However I don't have  a system and am hap hazard so I decided to look for a solution. I was down at my local Officeworks and noticed a Western Digitial 2Tb My Book World II Dual Drive Nas.  Okay what caught my eye with this drive is it uses RAID Technology so it has a dual-drive system which provides an extra safe solution for backing up the data on all the computers in your home. RAID Technology is basically using two disc drives that mirror each other so your data is actually written to two disc drives each of 1Tb. Now I am no computer tech head but my understanding is as your data is written to two drives if one drive dies your data is still on the other drive. You are still able to access your data and once you replace the faulty drive it automatically copies the data from the other disc. This system is able to sit wireless or wired on your network and you can set up an automatic backup program for all your digitial media. Best of all for $300 you have a great system..cheap insurance. 1Tb not enough? there are bigger systems.





No comments:

Post a Comment