Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Curse of the GPS


A few years ago I paid a princely sum for a  Uniden Trax 350 GPS including Australian and NZ maps. I have also used a Garmin that my father had prior to buying a Tom Tom with a wide screen, because he is a bit deaf he prefers to see where he is going...I know a scary thought, rather than hearing instructions. I also used a Tom Tom in the UK.  As my Father did not have internet I set up his Tom Tom to update the maps and install the NZ map bonus. I also decided to purchase for him future map updates, as like all parents, it gets hard to buy presents for them when they have everything. It was through this process and transferring the update process to his laptop now having internet access that I decided to look into my GPS. So I hooked it up and went searching for map updates. After Googling and going to the Uniden website to no avail. I then thought I would send an email to ask where an update maybe found. Now to be fair to Uniden I sent an email around 4.30pm in the afternoon and by 10.00am the next morning they had replied. Their reply however stunned me.

Hi Steve,







Thanks for your email.






Unfortunately we will not be releasing the mapping for the GNS Series


You may be interested to consider an upgrade offer below, to the latest Uniden model.






Latest Model Upgrade


Simply send in your unit to the address below with $149.95 and we will upgrade you to the latest model IGO 43, Or for $199.95 an Upgrade of the IGO50..(International mapping is available for this on NAVIEXTRAS.com)

Okay so do I go with this or buy a Tom Tom? A quick search of the internet soon tells me I can buy the complete unit without sending my old one for less than Uniden want. The one retailer selling them at RRP has none in stock. The write up on the manufacturers website sounds good but will they deliver on map updates? Hmm another email to Uniden I think to see if they can convince me otherwise.  I think Tom Tom might have another convert...

No comments:

Post a Comment