Sunday, January 2, 2011

Finally Fifty...and a Happy New Year


I woke up Thursday Morning in Paris Older..50 to be exact. Hard to believe fifty years has passed by in my life. After our continental breakfast we set about on our trek back home to Retford. We caught the Metro back to Charles De Gaulle Airport. Now one thing with flying and going through various airports is the way each airport/country interprets the security measures. We had one case to check in the rest was carry on baggage. Now in my case most likely topping the 10kgs allowance, was two cameras and a netbook . I had to take teh cameras out of the case, the netbook, remove my belt, shoes and of course place the toiletries in the mandatory plastic bag. On the way over from the UK I did not have to go through all this palaver. It appeared I had too many toiletries in my plastic bag so I had to decant material into a second bag?? After getting through security and redressing myself I went to duty free to see whether my chosen after shave etc is reasonably priced. A quick check of the Currency converter on my iPhone and I was buying up. One thing I have learnt is that when you see fragrances cheap, buy never think you can get it cheaper somewhere else. Shortly we were  making our way to our Airplane by airport bus....immediately I think of that Sandra Bullock movie Speed. When we had got up in the morning the sun was shinning and the Eiffel Tower could be seen from the Railway Station at Cabronne, however the cloud and fog had now rolled in. Our flight back to the UK was uneventful however we had to fill out entry cards...something we could have done on the plane, When I made the suggestion to the girl from Jet2.com at Leeds Bradford airport she basically told me to go F*&^ myself. Hmm I won't be letting that matter rest...a stern letter will be sent to their Complaints Officer!!
The weather in Leeds was slightly better than we left however there was still fog and mist. I set off carefully for Retford. We were home in no time and after unpacking made our way back to Wath to celebrate my Birthday with Su's Sister's family. A lovely pub meal was had a few drinks and wearily Su and I returned to Retford. The kids, Adam & Christine were staying in Wath in readiness for New Years Eve.
New years Eve was spent doing our domestic duties, washing, shopping for food and I had my first meal of soggy Fish & Chips for lunch. The evening was spent with Phil & Pauline, neighbours of our house swap owners, Marilyn & Dave. Phil & Pauline are very friendly and an inspirational couple. They have 5 adopted children and have fostered numerous children. At the moment they have one Foster child Sam. Sam is autistic, doubly incontinent and 14 years of age. They have had him for seven years. Sam cannot talk but does some signing and took a shine to both Su & I hugging and kissing us. May be because we gave him two massive Next Catalogues which are his latest obsession. Sam sleeps in a safe room at night and both Su and I take our hats off to Pauline & Phil. Pauline cooked a nice meal and of course I introduced them to one of my cheesecakes. Midnight was observed watching the fire works on telly from London. By 12.30 we were tucked up in our bed.

Fireworks on the Eye

Big Ben 2010/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment