Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Day at the R's


Decided to get Dave and Marilyn's other car out, the Fiat Punto so Adam and I could go down to London to see Queens Park Rangers(QPR) take on Bristol City. Well we should have left Su with the Fiat and taken the Peugeot as being Diesel it is far more economical. We dressed warmly and at about 9.30am set off for High Barnett underground Tube Station so we could make our way to Woods Lane or Shepherd's Bush Station. The London Underground is quite a good system but I still think Paris Metro takes some beating. Because of it being a bank holiday they were doing maintenance work on the lines so what should be a simple trip was a bit harder with line closures however we had plenty of time to get there. Adam supports Liverpool but his  late Uncle and his  Father are avid QPR supporters. Adam was a bit worried we were going the right way but we soon saw a few supporters and as we approached Woods Lane we followed those wearing the Blue and White Hoops. We made our way to the stadium and there was a heavy Police presence including Police on Horseback. I decided not to try my luck in taking my SLR and off course the 70-200mm L lens would be an instant ejection. My decision was vindicated when I got to the Stadium and in truth if I had off been more organised I most likely could have got a permit to take my camera. I used my iPhone and my little compact Panasonic despite signs saying no Cameras. It was interesting watching the pro photographers with their Humongous lens...mostly Nikons I am afraid. I saw one Canon with a cannon like size lens. At half time the photographers were madly downloading on to Laptops no doubt filling reports for their respective papers. The atmosphere at the Stadium was electric and it was great that I had managed to pick seats amongst the home supporters. Seats around us had peoples names on them.I had never experienced a Soccer (Football) Match in the UK and I have to say even if you do not follow the game the experience is worth it. Adam visited the QPR shop prior to the game to get a  few souvenirs and you can buy QPR everything, tablecloths, car dice...I don't know you name it and here it is in Blue & White with QPR logo on such is the fans dedication.
Now the seating is very snug and can understand why people stand until the Match starts not only are they snug side to side but there is not much foot room so every time someone wants to get in or out you need to stand so they can shuffle by. QPR came out fighting and would have had 80% of the possession so the final score of 2 All did not reflect the match intensity. As stated in today's Sun they made two school boy mistakes and certainly QPR should have had 5 goals but Bristol had David James ex England Goal Keeper, he saved Bristol from defeat and unfortunately when Bristol made a break for it they were more accurate and QPR were poor in defending, great in attackl but poor defending. Any way the match was scoreless at half time and QPR were well in front until the last few minutes when Bristol  levelled the score. QPR could not recover despite several attemps at goal. We left the match and followed the crowd to Shepherds Bush Station. Adam popped across to the Markets at Shepherds Bush then we made our way back to Retford. We made the mistake of stopping at a Little Chef for dinner on the way back....do not frequent these, the food and service is crap. Both Adam and I donated ten pounds each and it will be the last time. Heston Blumenthal obviously was unable to save them and I am surprised they still operate.





No comments:

Post a Comment