Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Welcome to Through the Loupe

Welcome to my first Blog post "Through the Loupe". Why Through the Loupe? Well all the other names were taken and given my liking for gadgets why not after one of my most useful photography gadgets? The Hoodman Loupe retails for about $118 in Australia and I must admit I looked for cheaper alternatives and even had ideas of making one myself. However since receiving my Loupe in the mail I can see it is worth every cent I paid for it. I wear glasses and don't have the best of sight but I defy anyone in the strong Australian sun being able to read the back of a LCD screen on  a camera. This device makes this so much easier when in the field and you can turn your LCD screen down. This must save battery power and stop you burning out your screen.
Today I was surprised to see a similar product from Genus-Tech in a UK photo magazine but at $A199 a bit expensive but it seems the drive for Loupe's is more to do with the use of DSLR's for Video production and both Hoodman and Genus make other adaptors to make filming with a DSLR easier.  By the way, using your Loupe on an iPhone screen is cool also although you might get some strange looks if you wore your Loupe all the time. In fact with the Loupe I can't help imagining myself as some famous film director scouting for the next location shoot!
Well I must pay tribute to my fellow photographer Melanie of A Surplice of Photography for inspiring me to do  a blog. She was going to help me out but being an impatient fellow and not wanting to take up her valuable time I have pressed on and developed my own blog. No doubt in the next few days she will run her critical eye over it and you will definitely see some improvements. It is a steep learning curve for an old dog like me.
I intend to give you my quirky view of the world and of course plan to have plenty of material whilst in UK to write about. So until my next post....bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment