Thursday, November 25, 2010

Canon Powershot SX30IS

One of the things I dread is being asked the question "you know a bit about cameras can you tell me what camera to buy?"  It is  a bit like being asked how long is a piece of string? I usually ask how much are looking to spend and what sort of photos do you want to take?  I am no expert and most compact cameras these days produce some awesome photos. I have a Panasonic Lumix that would be smaller than a cigarette  packet and it  produces great images.
Recently  whilst looking at a photo shop catalouge I came across the Canon Powershot SX30IS. It retails for $649(but I have seen it cheaper) and yes you could get an entry level DSLR for that sort of money but let me tell you this Camera has a 14.1MP sensor, a 24mm to 840mm lens....yes you read that right  840mm (35 times zoom) fstop from 2.7 at 24mm to f8 at 840mm. Features a viewfinder as well as a swing out LCD screen, built in flash with option for hot shoe flash. It takes HD video, has image stablisation  as well as a full set of shooting modes including manual. Perhaps on the down side it does not shoot in Raw.
One of my work mates bought this camera on my recommendation and took it to New Zealand on her holidays. The shots are sensational and that zoom.... mind blowing. In one of my follow up blogs I will see if I can have permission to publish a couple of her photos. On her buying this camera two other work mates are now buying it. We had great fun one day when she brought it in standing buy the windows  zooming in on Kangaroo Point Cliffs. It was also great from the eighth floor reading the bus stop when zooming down to street level. The camera is a reasonable size and feels good in your hands. It weighs about 550g and would easily fit in a womens handbag. It is a tad too big to fit in your pocket and I believe the ability to shoot manual would ideally suit the enthusiast wanting a walk around camera giving quality without drawing attention to yourself.
For me I am now trying to decide on a Powershoot SX30IS or Canon 7D? yes I know should be the 7D but I really have got lens envy now.
In a follow up to yesterdays post on the Hoodman Loupe something I did not make clear is it has a magnifying adjustable lens similar to what you find on binoculars. This means you can adjust the image on the loupe to your eyesight. My thanks to my friend Karen Cougan from Above See Level Photography for asking me that question.


Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment