Thursday, July 21, 2011

Krank Photography Workshops

Taken without permission www.krankphotographyworkshops.com.au

Last night I attended a photo retouching workshop run by Krank Photography Workshops, Photographers Glen Krohn and Deborah Boots are the masterminds behind this enterprise. In March they ran a Mansion shoot and recently a vintage bride shoot. These shoots feature high fashion and they have fashion stylist's, makeup artisits and hair stylists involved. Glen predominately shoots hair and fashion Deborah is more into wedding shooting.

It was an interesting course and as my good friend Cindy said..worth the price just to discover the use of  the Liquify filter to manipulate images. I of course use very little Photoshop and tend to do limited editing in lightroom. I am sure though to create teh edge i need to invest in some photoshop courses.

We all sat with our computers to follow along and must say I was mighty pissed when I open my recently rebuild hard drive laptop to find a very odd message about not locating the hard drive when I fired up my Photoshop Elements 9. I did have my netbook but it is not really designed for editing unless you have a magnifying glass.

One of Glens first tips was to calibrate your monitor and to regularly do this. Glen started about four years ago and said he has self taught his photoshop skills and quickly professed he was no expert...maybe no expert but certainly turns out some fine images. There is no doubt that retouching in fashion is far more intensive and given you work with fewer images it is easy to see how two hours can quickly pass on editing an image. This would not do for say a wedding shooter but certainly worth knowing if you want to enlarge that bride shot say to go on a canvas or large arcylic.

I must say after watching Glenn last night I am starting to view the magazines and adds for comestics, hair etc with a slightly more critical eye. I took copious notes and hope to have a fiddle over the weekend once I sort out my PSE issues. Meantime if Krank Photography run another retouch workshop I suggest you better register you wont regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment