Sunday, March 20, 2011

Can't have too many Cameras!

I was lucky to get two cameras from Su's mother, Pam, a Voightlander and a Olympus Trip 35mm that belonged to her late Husband. Recently via eBay I purchased a Kodak Box Brownie Flash II.
Voightlander is reputedly the oldest names in cameras. In 1956 they sold out to Carl Ziess Foundation. In 1972 Zeiss/Voigtländer stopped producing cameras, and a year later Zeiss sold Voigtländer to Rollei. On the collapse of Rollei in 1982, Plusfoto took over the name, selling it in 1997 to Ringfoto. From 1999 until the present time (2010), Voigtländer-branded products have been manufactured and marketed by Cosina. (source Wikipedia). The one I have, I have not been able to positively identify but I think it is of the Compur folding range made in the 1930's(guess).
The Kodak Box Brownie Flash II camera I have is about 1960's era and can remember my father having one. The Box Brownie cameras put photography into the hands of the people and was a simple camera that even children could operate.It was made for 70 years from 1900 and about 125 variations of the first camera. I bought mine on Ebay for about $30 and intend to use it on themed photoshoots I have in mind.
The last camera is a Olympus Trip 35   and was made from 1967 to 1984 and in the 70's was made famous by David Bailey in a serious of advertisments. Over ten million were sold(source Wikipedia) so I don't consider it worth a lot but handy to have anyway. Who knows might get a roll of film and get real adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment